First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes sadness. That’s not how it’s supposed to go, right?
Unfortunately, for some individuals, that is how it goes. You spend a long time planning your wedding, you get caught up in the excitement and the stress, then suddenly it’s over. The post-wedding blues are a period of time ranging from 48 hours to 6 months where a bride (turned wife) experiences unexpected sadness following the wedding day.
While there is no immediate cure, it is important to remember that you are not alone!
Here are some tips to help you deal with these feelings:
- Do not allow yourself to think about the things you wish would have happened or the things that you think went wrong. The past is the past, and it cannot be changed. We are sure that the problem you think is huge probably wasn’t even noticeable to anyone else.
- Do not allow yourself to compare your wedding to the weddings you have seen on social media. While those weddings may look beautiful on your screen, that bride was probably just as stressed out as you were while planning your big day.
- Take care of yourself. In times of stress and sadness, it is important to be patient and kind to ourselves. Light some candles, take a bath, cook yourself a nice dinner or go outside. Focusing on the things that bring you joy will likely diminish the sadness you are feeling due to those post-wedding blues.
- Let your spouse know how you are feeling. Not only should the lines of communication be open between you and your spouse, but he/she may also be able to offer you some helpful advice or share some their own personal feelings toward the matter. Your spouse shared your wedding day with you, so if anyone is going to understand how you are feeling, it will be him/her.
- Allow yourself to be sad and do not be afraid to go to counseling if you feel like it’s too much to deal with. A professional can equip you with the right steps you need to take in order to move forward. Think of it as a proactive way of learning to deal with your feelings going forward.
Getting married is just the beginning of a lifetime adventure. There are still so many things to enjoy together after the wedding ceremony is over, so don’t fret.
Know of a lucky friend who is engaged? Check out what Ball Conference Center has to offer for their special day!